The Dry Shampoo Battles
Ok I think we can all agree at this point we have heard about the wonders of Dry Shampoo. Youtubers rave about it; thousands of brands claim they make the best that will give you Texas sized hair. But in reality many people are not even sure how to use it or which one to spend your money on. Well I am willing to bite the bullet, for researcher purposes of course, and see who really wins the Dry Shampoo Battle.
First off let me tell you a little bit about my hair, besides the fact that it is red (Yes, this is my natural color). I have very fine hair with little to no natural volume in it. My hair gets oily fast, like same day as washing it fast, which is why I do use dry shampoo. Dry Shampoo gives my hair volume and fights oil at the same time. I do however have very very healthy hair so it is really soft and pretty bright and shiny. The major issue I have with my hair sadly though…is my scalp. So many products literally burn the skin on my scalp. Most shampoos, conditions, texture sprays, and the famous sea salt sprays damage my scalp. I have to be very careful about what I use, because if not a few hours later my head will be burning and itching (gross I know!)
There are five major points that I will be judging each dry shampoo on to see if it really is the best.
- White Residue: Most dry shampoos start out as white powder spray on your hair until they soak up the oil. My issue is if that leaves a white cast on my hair after it is done soaking up oil. Having bright hair I do not want the top half of my hair to seem dull or even a different color.
- Smell: This is major! I am sorry but no one wants bad smelling hair! I feel like it is 2017 these dry shampoos better make my hair smell bomb!
- Price: So often we are willing to throw major money at products that promise amazing results, but don’t deliver. I think price comparison is a big deal and I personally do not spend tons of money on my hair. (that money is reserved for my face)
- Longevity: I get ready at 7am everyday and I don’t get home and in sweats until 6:30pm. I want my dry shampoo to work as long as I do. Dry shampoo can make your hair feel like magic right after you use it, but if by lunch time my hair looks oily again!! That is a no go for me!
- Scalp Feelings: This might not be a big section to most people (lucky you) but if products feel heavy on my head or burn and itch, I just can’t deal with that.
Application: I will apply all dry shampoos the same way. I spray the hairline around my face as that for me is the oiliest, my center part, and the left and right side part. The hair near my neck, never gets oily so I don’t bother wasting products there.
Round 1: Batiste Dry Shampoo – Clean and Classic Original
I purchased this at Ulta because I have heard so many people rave about it. The one major prop I will give to this brand before even trying it is that they have so many different options! From every hair color to different fragrances’, they potentially have a dry shampoo for all.
- White Residue: As you can see from the photos my hair literally turned a different color. I normally spray my head and finish my makeup so it sits on my hair for 35 mins before I style. As it soaked up the oils the white pigment did dye down. In the photos you can’t really tell but the product did dull down my hair color. If you have dark brown or black hair you could not use this version, it would intensely show on the top of your head.
- Smell: It was very clean smelling, and the smell did stay with my hair all day. But when you do initially spray it, the powder smell kind of consumes you for a minute.
- Price: Ulta and Target sell this one for $5.99. I think that is a great price and although it looks like I used a lot I really didn’t so it should go a long way.
- Longevity: This one made me really examine my hair and think. I would say that it held off my oil up until 4pm. By the time I got home you can see my oil breaking through my hair. I didn’t feel like my hair was super flat at the end of the day, some volume did stay.
- Scalp Feelings: This did not burn or itch at all. SCORE! But by the end of the day I could feel the product sitting on my scalp and when I showered that night I really had to work my shampoo in there to get the dry powder out.
Overall: 3 out of 5 Stars: This did a lot of positive things for me at a great price point. I only wish it would have lasted a bit longer and that the white cast on it was not as strong.
Round 2: Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo
Oh Drybar, when this brand launched in Sephora people went crazy over it! They sell every hair product you could possibly want or think your hair might need. I received this in my December Sephora Play Box. I have used several samples of their shampoo and conditioners so I was excited to try something new from them.
- White Residue: Ok so this is a rough review. I lightly sprayed this into my hair and yes there was as much white residue as the Batiste one. While I was waiting for the shampoo to absorb my oil I was doing my makeup and looked down into my bronzer to see tons of white flakes in it… quickly and madly realizing it was falling from my hair. As you can see from the photo it looks like paint in my hair. I was ready to give up at that point but I decided to wait my 35 mins. When I brushed it out and worked it in with my hands boy oh boy did it soak up every drop of oil possible. My hair even felt a bit dry (which I cannot remember the last time I said that about my hair). It took a bit of the shine out of my hair but you cannot see any white residue.
- Smell: Smells freaking great! Without looking at the title of the product I would assume this was perfume for your hair. Smells of Jasmine and vanilla.
- Price: I get that this is a higher end brand so for the small bottle $13 and the large is $23 which you can easily purchase at Sephora. For me, that is more then I want to spend on a dry shampoo but if this is in your budget it is a great high end hair buy.
- Longevity: This lasted all day in my hair. It was a rain storm this day and my hair only got a bit frizzy at the end of the day but not oily. Even in the rain!!! Really happy with how long this lasted.
- Scalp Feelings: I cannot feel this on my scalp at all. Not heavy, gave my hair a lot of volume. I had it on for a total of 13 hours and I would have never guessed I sprayed something in my hair.
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars: I was initially scared of this product, but at the end of the day I am quite impressed. It gave my hair so much volume and really kicked all the oils butt! If it was a bit cheaper and the flakes of white didn’t happen I would have given this 5 stars for sure. One of the top high end hair products.
Round 3: Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo Spray
This is a brand I have heard of one or two times before in social media, but could not name another product by the brand, so this brand was new to me. I received this in my January BoxyCharm Subscription box. If you want to see the rest of the review on the box, click here.
- White Residue: This had the same amount of White Residue as the Batiste Shampoo. It really brushes out though and gave a bit of texture to my hair which I really liked. It made my hair shiny, no matte look from the White Residue which is how I like it.
- Smell: Ok so being fully honest when I first sprayed this on my hair it smelt like Pledge. That beyond intense chemical lemon smell. After about 15 mins the smell went completely away… thank god!
- Price: I could find it on a few online stores for $25. I think that is a bit high. Especially because I had to use much more of this product then the Drybar one. But when I went to look at other options from the brand they were lower prices.. bit odd.
- Longevity: Ok so this review is going to take a weird twist. It realistically held off the oil for about 4 hours. But it oddly gave my hair great texture and the bottom half of my hair good volume. I think for me (someone with oily thin hair) this works awesome as a texture spray, not a dry shampoo.
- Scalp Feelings: After about 5 hours I could feel this sitting on my hair. Just the top half felt a bit heavy.
Overall: 2 out of 5 Stars: Ok so for me personally this didn’t work at all as a dry shampoo for oil… but I now use it as a texture spray and it’s great. I have tried twice using it all over my hair before braiding and before curling my hair. It held longer and looked fuller. If you have hair similar to me or received this in your BoxyCharm box try using it as a texture spray!
Round 4: COLAB Dry Shampoo London
I am a big fan of A Model Recommendations blog and YouTube channel. She is a co-creator of this product so when I was in London I knew I had to try it out.
- White Residue: As you can see from the photos, even as you are spraying this there is no white powder on your hair. I did notice after about 5 mins that one section of my hair looked as thought there was product on it but that it is. I am really impressed because I didn’t think you could ever have no white residue.
- Smell: God, this smells so damn good! I have no idea what they put in this but I would assume this is hair perfume like Oribe has. I liked the smell so much I didn’t even wear perfume that day. I know COLAB is relaunching their line and has a ton of new fragrance’s, so I cant wait to try those.
- Price: I purchased this at Boots in London but you can get it for super cheap (less than $6) at FeelUnique
- Longevity: I sprayed a ton of this in my hair at 7:00am waited about 30 mins till I started to move it through my hair. There was no dullness to my color, not an ounce of White residue. I would say that my oil started to break through at about 5:30pm. Hey this dry shampoo worked as long as I did this day. I am ridiculously impressed with this!
- Scalp Feelings: I would not even have a clue there was a product on my head at all if I didn’t spray it myself. I cannot feel it on my hair when I touch it or on my scalp even at 8:00pm when I was getting in the shower.
Overall: 5 out of 5 Stars: I am incredibly impressed! It lasted forever, no issue with white residue or oil! It smells gorgeous and is the price of a Starbucks drink! Come on what is not to love here. I am quite sure once I finish all the dry shampoo in my house I will be purchasing the new line by COLAB.
Round 5: Bumble and bumble Prêt – a – Powder
Ok, technically this is a dry shampoo powder not a spray. I have had this for a while because it was a big deal for adding major volume to all of your hair. I used this a lot when I had a bob and it worked great. I think it is worth talking about because it is a unique product.
- White Residue: With this product the powder does come out white but when you work it into your hear it quickly disappears with no white reside left on your hair. I can feel the product on my hair but you can not see it at all. Although it is a powder that you are spraying in your hair watch out cause it will get all over your shirt and the floor.
- Smell: Like vanilla baby powder. I feel like I smell this the most when I put it on but once I work this into my hair I don’t really smell it any more.
- Price: This to me is expensive at Sephora it is $27.00, but I have had this for about 3 years and I am not even 1/2 way through it. I think this lasts a very long time but still at the top of people’s budgets.
- Longevity: I can say that this product did last through most of the day. By about 4pm I could feel the oil in my hair coming back but it did not show as significantly as it felt.
- Scalp Feelings: I can seriously feel this product on my hair. It does not burn or itch but just feels so heavy and gritty. I know many people like the gritty feeling in their hair, not for me! Because you put this product on layer by layer in your hair it really does get all over your head, and for me I can really feel it.
Overall: 3 out of 5 Stars: Ok here is the deal with this product. If you have a bob or a pixie cut get this! It’s easy to use, adds texture, volume and a bit of grit to help styling. The longer my hair gets the less I use it. I always keep it with me for the times when I randomly decide to cut my hair super short. But right now with the length of my hair I personally would pick up a different product.
So for the lineup of the first ever Dry Shampoo Battles is…
In 5th Place : Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo Spray – use as an overall texture spray instead
In 4th Place: Bumble and Bumble Prêt – a – Powder – must have for Bob and Pixie haircuts
In 3rd Place: Batiste Dry Shampoo – Clean and Classic Original- offers different colors and scents
In 2nd Place: Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo – best high end Dry Shampoo
In 1st place the magical COLAB Dry Shampoo London!!! Made my hair look and feel Instagram ready